Tuesday, August 7, 2018

August 1: Edinburgh

After a late-night move-in the night before, I slept in a bit after Erik left for CrossFit and went out for a run by myself. I mapped my way to the nearest large park, right next to Holyrood House (the royal residence in Edinburgh), taking in the sites of the city by myself.
This is our apartment building! Luckily we are on the first floor (the first window above the door)

And there are a lot of steps just to get up to the door from street level. The kids brought their own suitcases all that way! 

And this is the view just steps from the apartment in one direction (in the other direction is the Royal Mile and castle)

I had heard of this mashed potato bar - it's supposedly delicious and a good place to try haggis

I love this good-natured, funny and fun campaign to clean up the streets!


Once I got to Holyrood House park (just a flat patch of green grass), I saw somewhere much more exciting to run!!

I sent this selfie to Erik, saying "I think we need to move to Edinburgh.")

I had accidentally found Arthur's Seat!

It was such a gorgeous morning!! I headed back to the apartment and got dressed, then worked on the blog for a bit while the kids got ready to go. Then we met our tour guide, Chris, who took us on a walking tour of the amazing city.




The grave of Tom Ridell, which supposedly inspired J.K. Rowling while she was writing the Harry Potter series right here in Edinburgh.

Erik has to stop and work wherever we are - it happens in the most interesting locations! Those cages over the graves were put there to deter grave robbers in the 19th Century

Stone has grown up and changed in so much in so many ways. And in other ways he is the same as he was in Spain

This is the cafe where J.K. Rowling sat and worked on her first Harry Potter book!

Our tour guide was very patient and amused with Stone's silliness

A statue of Abraham Lincoln and a person being emancipated from slavery. We had no idea that Scottish people had gone to the U.S. to fight against slavery in the Civil War!

Finishing the walking tour on a hill looking over the city


Walking to an Indian restaurant for dinner in a sudden rainstorm!

And home in a downpour!




After we got home from dinner, Sophie and I put on better raincoats and walked to a nearby grocery store for breakfast foods and hot chocolate. When we got home we granted Stone's wish of having a family game of Hide-and-Seek

Really, Erik?

Stone's best hiding spot!

Sophie's been doing tons of sketching lately

And she can maintain focus even amidst the strangest of distractions

A quiet evening at home while it rained and bagpiped and drummed outside






No comments:

Post a Comment