Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Kids' Quotes

Quotes of the week:

Stone: "I'm going to tell you something so awesome it's going to shatter your bladder!"

I don't think we ever made it to the awesome thing he was going to say - that line made us all laugh so hard, he just kept repeating it.

"I think it is so interesting that onion juice is black."

It took a minute to get to the bottom of this firmly held belief - finally he told me that the evidence was "when you dry your eyes when you're cutting onions, the juice on the towel is black!"

I wonder what firmly held beliefs I have that I base off of rational but incorrect assumptions.

Sophie: "We just shake off."

This was in response to my wondering why the girls were wanting packages of tissues for their backpacks. Come to find out, the school bathrooms don't have toilet paper!! I asked what they've been doing so far this year, and that was Sophie's answer. "We just shake off. That's what everyone does. Oh, and the toilets don't have seats either." Anyone at home in California complaining about under-funded schools can come for a visit and feel better!

Lucy: "Not even one part of me liked it."

Lucy came out of school with furrowed eyebrows and a down-turned mouth, arms folded. It turns out that at recess she had been sitting against the wall chatting with some friends, and a group of 6th grade boys started milling around in front of them, asking Lucy questions. She was starting to feel unsettled when finally one of them said, "we think you're the most beautiful girl in your grade!" and they all ran away. I told her "come on, some small part of you had to have liked that!" but she insisted she didn't, not one bit.

Erik: "If there were a trampoline right here (in the middle of a busy street) and you had to take off all of your clothes while continuously jumping, how many jumps would it take?"

The kids are going to laugh someday about their dad and his constant, hilarious questions. Sometimes they're complicated math story problems, but more often they're something like, "Quick answer: you have to live for 2 years in a non-English or -Spanish speaking country. GO." or "In place of a belly button you have to have either a working mouth or a working finger. Tell which one and why. GO."

I can't think of any quotes for me or Lindsay. We're basically the same person except she's taller and has a better sense of direction.

Happy Halloween!


1 comment:

  1. tell Stone that I laughed so hard that I think my bladder did indeed shatter a little. :)

    ReplyDelete