Monday, October 8, 2012

Kids' Quotes


Stone (This was from a few weeks ago but I forgot to write it):
  • We were looking at a map and discussing which direction to go, and mentioned we needed to go West. "WEST???" Stone piped up. "I have always wanted to go out West! Can we all be cowboys?"
  • I was telling the kids their bed-time scripture story about Peter walking on the water to Jesus, and asked Sophie and Stone what the word "disciple" meant. Sophie answered that it was someone who followed someone and tried to do what they did. We talked about how we are trying to be Jesus' disciples and Stone listened intently, then assessed matter-of-factly, "Ok, then I think I'm a medium disciple. Because sometimes when I'm mad, I'm just super mean."


Sophie: 
  • “I always thought of words in other languages just being ways of saying things in English, which is the real language. But now I realized most people don’t even know English, like English is not the main language of the world.”


Lucy: 
  • (On Friday, when she had a Spanish friend come home with her from school) “Today I forgot I spoke English! It was like I have been speaking Spanish my whole life!
  • “I love that I am going through a life with you as my mother.” (Of course the content of that melted my heart, but I also loved the way she chose to say it. "Going through a life" I thought was interesting - an indication that like Sophie, she is seeing that her life is just one way of many different ways she could be living.)


Lindsay: 
  • I couldn't think of an exact quote, but in general we tend to finish each other's sentences and make the same jokes - especially word jokes and totally dumb but also genius-level puns. :) And also Lindsay can frequently be heard saying things like “You’re right, Mom.” “No problem, Mom.” “How can I help you, Mom?” I am so blessed!!

And thank you for all of your well-wishes when you read my Madrid post. It was really a doozy! I kept Stone home from school today, since he'd eaten about 10 calories in 48 hours. We tried going on a short bike ride, but after 5 minutes he got off his bike and laid down on the sidewalk so we came home and he promptly fell asleep. :) He kept a little food down today though.

And Erik flies home from Ukraine tomorrow night! YAY!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh your kids are incredible! I love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "After 5 minutes he got off his bike and laid down on the sidewalk." I can't stop laughing at that. I'm sure it wasn't so funny in the moment, but I'm remembering how dirty you say the sidewalks are there and I'm both entertained and horrified at the notion of little Stone deciding that the bike riding is done and that he would now like a nap on a disgusting sidewalk, thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disgusting is such an understatement. There is so much to look at around and above us, but we don't dare take our eyes off the sidewalk - it is a #2 minefield. And males of all ages relieve their bladders on the side of the roads, too. Male HUMANS, I mean. So yes, not my favorite place Stone has ever sprawled out on. :)

    ReplyDelete